Every year we see a flurry of articles published around Halloween, warning of the potential dangers of wearing Halloween contact lenses. If you are wondering about the safety of your eyes this October then we are here to answer your questions on safe Halloween contact lenses.
We all know too well the risks and potential hazards of decorative contacts, so let’s instead answer the ‘are Halloween contact lenses safe’ question with a focus on how you can ensure a better experience with your colored contacts. Let’s work to prevent unwanted side effects and maintain ocular health!
Wherever you choose to shop colored contact lenses this year, we recommend considering and acting upon the following factors:
- Check your suitability for wearing contacts
- Purchase from a reputable seller, selling reputable products
- Learn how to properly use the lenses
Here are a few steps you should take to ensure a safe Halloween experience when it comes to colored contact lenses. We have also included information on how we, Coloured Contacts, work to ensure the safe and secure selling of decorative contact lenses.
Visit the Opticians
As much as we, and many other contact lens sellers, can provide you with information on everything from prescription to aftercare, there’s no better advice than that of your optician. An optometrist or specialist eye doctor can give an expert opinion as to the suitability and current conditions of your eyes.
Although everyone’s eyes are equally important, they all have different requirements and needs. We always recommend checking in with your optician before using colored contacts – especially if it is your first time. We want everyone to have a safe experience, and that starts with your visit to the opticians.
Choose a Reputable Seller
While it can be tempting to go searching for cheap Halloween contact lenses on eBay and other places, take a minute to consider the consequences for the price of saving a few dollars. Some stalls, joke shops
Here at Coloured Contacts, we have the following steps in place to ensure that our customers are shopping safely and securely when it comes to colored contact lenses:
- Rx Verification – as per regulations of the FDA and FTC, the sale of contact lenses to the United States must be approved by an optician or prescriber. They must approve that the prescription of the lenses is suitable for use in your eyes. Find out how this process works here.
- Disclaimer Agreement – when you check out with Coloured Contacts, you will find our disclaimer agreement. By agreeing to this disclaimer you are showing that you understand and have acknowledged all the necessary steps suggested for correct contact lens usage.
Some retailers do not follow proper guidelines, and this can lead to the sale of products made from inappropriate materials that can be out of date or poorly
FDA Approved Colored Contact Lenses
It can seem like you are being bombarded with information about the different types of lenses available. An important sign to look for when buying contact lenses online is whether or not a store is selling FDA approved decorative contact lenses.
In the United States, colored contact lenses are all classed as medical devices; which is why they come under the jurisdiction of the FDA (U.S Food and Drug Administration). Find out more from their website.
FDA approved Halloween contacts are classified as being safe and suitable for sale in the US, so are certainly the types of colored contacts to be looking for. Whilst looking through our products, you’ll find a banner on our products that are marked as being FDA approved.
Know Your Contact Lens Aftercare
Halloween is certainly a fun time of year to get all dressed up and to scare your friends. In the midst of all the festivities, it can be all too easy to forget some of the basics of looking after your colored contact lenses.
Even though these contacts are probably a one-night-only accessory, it is still important to follow all of the main steps for care and aftercare. While all the information on the cleaning and care of colored contacts can seem overwhelming (especially if you are new to contact lenses) it is important to cover to ensure your safety.
Halloween Contact Lens Tips
- Do wash and dry your hands thoroughly before handling your contact lenses
- Do not let Halloween makeup, fake blood or other cosmetics come into contact with the lens
- Do soak your lenses in contact lens solution (not water) before use (follow included instructions)
- Do check for defects (rips, tears or damage) before use.
- Do not wear lenses you think are damaged or unsuitable for use.
- Do remove contact lenses immediately if any itchiness, redness or pain is experienced
- Do not wear for longer than 8 hours at a time, the lens will start to feel dry and dehydrated
- Do not share contact lenses with friends (if they like your style they should buy their own!)
- Do not ‘stack’ or try to wear more than one contact lens in each eye at one time.
After The Witching Hour
- Do not sleep with your colored contact lenses in. Remove them before going to bed.
- Do not shower with the lenses in. Remove before showering, swimming or bathing.
- Do dispose of
single usecontact lenses or lenses at the end of their expiration date.
- Do return any longer duration contact lenses to a clean case filled with fresh solution.
While we want you to have fun wearing your Halloween costumes, we also think it is important to provide you with all the information to help you use and purchase safe Halloween contact lenses. If you have any questions please consult your eye doctor or optometrist.
We also have several pages with information that may be useful for finding out more on contact lens care and tutorials: